Flavonoids are a type of phytonutrient, which are natural compounds found in plants. They are what give fruits and vegetables their vibrant colors. Not only do they provide skin-loving benefits when eaten, but topical application of products containing flavonoids can also improve the appearance of your skin!
What are flavonoids?
Flavonoids are a type of phytonutrient that are found in many fruits and vegetables. They are known for their antioxidant properties and have been shown to provide numerous health benefits. One of the benefits of flavonoids is that they can help to protect the skin from damage caused by ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun. Flavonoids can also help to improve the appearance of the skin by reducing inflammation and improving blood circulation.
The best sources of flavonoids
There are a variety of foods that are rich in flavonoids, and including them in your diet is one of the best ways to ensure optimal skin health. Some of the best sources of flavonoids include:
- Fruits, vegetables, especially berries, citrus fruits, onions, and garlic
- Red wine
Including these foods in your diet will help to ensure that you are getting the necessary nutrients for healthy skin. Flavonoids are just one part of a healthy diet, and so it is important to eat a variety of healthy foods to maintain optimal skin health.
How to incorporate flavonoids into your skincare routine
There are many different ways to incorporate flavonoids into your skincare routine. You can find products that contain flavonoids, or you can create your own DIY treatments using ingredients like green tea, apple cider vinegar, and honey.
If you’re not sure where to start, we’ve got you covered. Here are four easy ways to incorporate flavonoids into your skincare routine:
1. Use a green tea toner: Green tea is rich in a type of flavonoid called catechins, which have potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. To make a green tea toner, steep two green tea bags in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Remove the tea bags and let the liquid cool. Pour it into a clean bottle and apply it to your face with a cotton pad after cleansing.
2. Make a honey and apple cider vinegar mask: Honey and apple cider vinegar both contain flavonoids that can help improve skin health. To make a mask, mix equal parts honey and apple cider vinegar. Apply the mixture to your face and leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Rinse it off with warm water and pat your skin dry.
3. Use a flavonoid-rich serum: There are many different serums on the market that are rich in flavonoids. Look for products that contain ingredients like green tea extract, grape seed extract, or resveratrol. Apply the serum to your face after cleansing and before applying moisturizer.
4. Drink green tea: In addition to topical treatments, you can also incorporate flavonoids into your skincare routine by drinking green tea. Green tea is rich in catechins, which can help improve skin health from the inside out.
Flavonoids are a type of phytonutrient, and they’re known for their antioxidant properties. They’re found in many plant-based foods, including fruits, vegetables, tea, and chocolate. Flavonoids can also be found in supplements. While more research is needed to determine the exact benefits of flavonoids for skin health, preliminary studies suggest that they may help protect against sun damage, reduce inflammation, and promote collagen production. If you’re looking for ways to improve your skin health, adding foods rich in flavonoids to your diet or taking a supplement may be worth considering.